Defining the voice of Amsterdam tourism for a decade
“Thanks to you ‘I amsterdam’ is a motto known around the world, is a symbol of quality, and a guide for those interested in Amsterdam and surrounding region”
- Director of amsterdam&partners
In a nutshell.
- 76.9% increase in page views over three years
- Managing and producing content across social platforms
- Delivering thoughtful, inspiring content
- Defining, refining and growing the I amsterdam brand
Back in 2008, the City of Amsterdam and Amsterdam’s city marketing organisation asked our managing editor to take on the role of head editor of their website. “Sure,” we said, opening the door to a multi-stakeholder collaboration that completely transformed how Amsterdam represented itself to the world. At the time, the site was essentially a (pretty uninspiring) platform for the municipal government to communicate information in English. Over the years, the municipal and marketing functions evolved and the brief changed and grew along the way. From an initial request to help bring stakeholders and their content onto the same page, the project became full spectrum – content strategy, production and social media.
- Project management, workflows and content management solutions
- coordination with multiple stakeholders
- strategies for content and editorial management
- page templates
- online and social content for varied target groups, exploring every aspect of visiting and living in Amsterdam
- A/B testing
- five site rebuilds
- SEO strategy and keyword analysis
- CMS work and technical support
What it took.
- A team of agile and passionate writers, editors, analysts and translators
- the ability to navigate numerous stakeholders and political sensibilities
- the ability to identify and engage different target audiences
- SEO, monitoring and analytics skills
- technical expertise and problem-solving skills
- Pageviews grew from 17.3 million to 30.6 million a year
- the site had 4 million unique views per month
- we defined, refined and grew the I amsterdam brand
Amsterdam is our spiritual home, and we jumped at the chance of transforming the way the city presented itself to visitors and international residents. Our team of writers and editors delivered top-quality, inspiring content that reflected the client’s goals. In 2019, we helped recruit and train a new in-house head editor to take over the work we had been doing. And we’ll always be proud of our role in making I amsterdam a well-known brand that is loved (and copied!) around the world.